What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a small titanium screw that replaces the root of a missing tooth. It is inserted into the jawbone and serves as an anchor for an artificial replacement tooth to be attached. They can be used to replace a single tooth, multiple teeth (bridges) or to secure and support dentures. Dental implants are a means of replacing missing teeth.
Garrison Woods Dental offers its patients a method to replace one or more missing teeth. Dental implants avoid involving other teeth to support restorations such as bridges.
Our Doctors work with surgeons in Calgary to place the dental implants. After healing has taken place, we fabricate the crown or bridge to be placed on top of the dental implant.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a dental implant?
There are many advantages to dental implants:
- Durability, implants are a durable way to replace a missing tooth.
- Improved oral health, they do not damage adjacent teeth like bridges and partials. Dental implants are easier to clean and maintain.
- Improved appearance.
- Improved speech and eating, they are not loose fitting like dentures and partials which make daily activities such as eating and talking easier.
- Preserves bone, dental implants placed into the jaw bone help preserve the remaining bone structure.
There are few disadvantages to dental implants:
- Financials, for some people the cost of a dental implant maybe substantial and insurance plans do not typically cover the cost of implants. In most cases this is a one-time cost, unlike other types of tooth replacement procedures.
- Healing time, you may have no tooth or a removable appliance for 3-6 months while the implant heals.
- Requires Surgery, the implant has to be placed into your jawbone. All surgeries have risks.
At Garrison Woods Dental, as general dentist, we do not place dental implants in-office. For the placement of an implant, we will refer you to a dental specialist (Periodontist or Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon) who has further training in placing implants. Once the dental implant is placed and completed the healing process, our doctors will attach the abutment and final restoration to the implant.
Dental implants are a durable way to replace damaged or missing teeth. If you’d like to discuss if dental implants are the best choice for you, please call our office or book an appointment to speak with one of our general dentists.