Photo for illustrative and educational purposes only.
Tooth Removal Reasons and Options
A dental extraction is the removal of the tooth from the socket in the bone. There are a number of reasons for a tooth to be extracted:
- a tooth is too badly decayed and cannot be restored
- the tooth has been injured
- orthodontic purposes
- to remove supernumerary (extra) teeth
- baby teeth are not exfoliating
- problematic wisdom teeth
- the tooth is loose because of periodontal disease
Once the decision has been made to extract the tooth, one of our dentists will discuss options to replace that tooth. The removal of a single tooth can lead to problems related to your chewing ability, jaw joint and shifting teeth. These complications can have a major impact on your dental health.